This image is a mirror image taken from Ayurveda, The Science of Healing by Dr. Vasant Lad
Ever wonder why one day your tongue is red and other days it has a white coating? The tongue is a wealth of knowledge. Looking at a patients tongue is common practice in Ayurveda. It can give clues on mental, emotional and physical health through its size, shape, contour, texture, surface and color. A white-coating often indicates ama or toxins (toxins) in the body related to a kapha imbalance. Suggesting an accumulation of excess mucus, heavy foods, phelgm, sugar or undigested food.
Here’s 5 tips on how to prevent a white-coated tongue or help reduce the white coating:
1.Look at your tongue 3xs a day. First thing in the morning is the best time followed by after lunch and then prior to going to bed. This is a good practice and a tool to help begin tuning into your body. If your tongue remains white throughout the day and for several days, this is a good indication to consider a cleanse or make adjustments to your diet.
2. Use a tongue scraper. After brushing each morning, gently scrape the tongue from as far back as you can go forward to the tip. Then repeat # 1 again.
3. Reduce heavy foods. Give your body a break for 5-7 days from heavy foods, like dairy, cheese, bread, pasta, refined flours, sugar and increase the intake of cooked greens. Like collards, kale, spinach, chard, and cabbage along with some spices like ginger, cumin, cilantro and parsley. The bitter tastes of greens will help counter balance the sugar and mucus that forms from heavy foods. The spices will help support digestion and aide in flushing toxins from the body.
4. Fast 1 day a week. Consider giving your body a break for an entire day and enjoy warm herbal teas and a little bit of fruit. Giving your body a 24-hour break is also a good option to boost the digestive fire, giving it a kick-start.
4. Drink CCF Tea a decoction of equal parts cumin, fennel and coriander seeds. Drink 1 hot cup first thing in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening. In addition to # 2. Drink this hot tea for 5-7 days to help not only help increase the digestive fire, but also to help flush out toxins. Get the recipe.
5. Make lunch your big meal. Digestion is the strongest from Noon to 2pm, when the energy of the Sun is at it’s peak. Try to eat your most satisfying meal at this time. Begin and end your day with a light meal when digestion is slower to prevent ama.
P.S. Sometimes a white-coated tongue can be a related irregular elimination—which can then lead to the build-up of ama or toxins in the colon. Check out: tuesdaytip on constipation, for more details.