This cooling, alkalizing elixir comes from ayurvedic physician, Vaidya, Lakshmidevi M. Kartha, BAMs., from Kerela, India. A quick, easy and alkalizing tonic made with two ingredients, coconut water, and cardamom. Cold infused for ten to fifteen minutes, this refreshing, aromatic drink acts as an antidote to acid. While also preventing its reoccurrence in the body and urine. An age-old recipe commonly recommended when there is indigestion or a burning sensation during urination.
The tender, young, coconut water serves as a natural cleanser with its’ diuretic, antimicrobial properties. Helping flush out infectious bacteria and keeping the body cool. The crushed cardamom pods or powder balances samana vayu, a sub-dosha located in the abdomen that governs digestion and assimilation. Cardamom, a carminative and diuretic also balances apana vayu. Another vata sub-dosha permeating the lower abdomen area, responsible for downward movement in the body. Including the elimination of carbon monoxide, urine, stool, etc.
The combination of these two natural ingredients acts like a gentle cleanser. It can be enjoyed at room temperature, a few times throughout the day for two-three days. To flush excess heat and acidity from the body. The alkalizer also makes for a tasty beverage electrolyte and mineral-rich beverage to enjoy in balance throughout the summer season. Happy drinking. Happy digesting.
Please note: excess acid in the urine or burning pee could be due to bacterial growth, a UTI— urinary tract infection. Please see a physician and get tested. This recipe can help reduce the burning sensation during urination and is not a cure for a UTI.
The Alkalizer | Coconut Water & Cardamom Elixir
Season: Summer or when acidity is high
Qualities: Light, Liquid, Cold, Mobile, Slightly Dry, Clear
Tastes: Sweet, Pungent
What you need: a glass
- water from 2 young, tender coconuts or 32 ounces of raw organic coconut water
- 1 very big pinch of cardamom powder or 4 cardamom pods crushed
1. In a jug or large glass bottle mix cardamom and coconut water together. Let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes to infuse. Strain if desired before consuming (pods can be added back to remaining water if desired).
*Notes from our test kitchen:
- a big batch can be made ahead of time. It will keep for up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator. See expiry date on coconut water bottle.
- if making a refrigerated batch, removing the 8oz serving amount an hour before consuming. Drink at room temperature or slightly chilled is okay.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of Ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.