Ever wonder why one day your tongue is red and other days it has a white coating?
The tongue can give us clues to our health through its size, shape, contour, surface and color. A white-coating often indicates a kapha imbalance. Suggesting an accumulation of excess mucus or ama (toxins) in body .
Here’s 3 tips on how to prevent a white-coated tongue or help reduce the white coating:
1.Look at your tongue 3xs a day. First thing in the morning is the best time followed by after lunch and then prior to going to bed. This is a good practice and a tool to help begin tuning into your body. If your tongue remains white throughout the day and for several days, this is a good indication to consider a cleanse or make adjustments to your diet.
2. Use a tongue scraper. After brushing each morning and then do # 1 again.
3. Reduce heavy foods. Give your body a break for 5-7 days from heavy foods, like dairy, cheese, bread, pasta, refined flours, sugar and increase the intake of cooked greens. Like collards, kale, spinach, chard, and cabbage along with some spices like ginger, cumin, cilantro and parsley. The bitter tastes of greens will help counter balance the sugar and mucus that forms from heavy foods. The spices will help support digestion and aide in flushing toxins from the body.
3. Fast 1 day a week. Consider giving your body a break for an entire day and enjoy warm herbal teas and a little bit of fruit. Giving your digestion a 24-hour break, can help to kick-start the digestive fire too.
4. Drink a 3-spiced tea of equal parts cumin, fennel and coriander seeds. Boil 1 tsp of each in 6 cups water and reduce to 3 cups. Drink 1 hot cup first thing in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening. In addition to # 2. Drink this hot tea for 5-7 days to help not only help increase the digestive fire, but also to help flush out toxins.
5. Make lunch your big meal. Digestion is the strongest from Noon to 2pm, when the energy of the Sun is at it’s peak. Try to eat your most satisfying meal at this time. Begin and end your day with a light meal when digestion is slower to prevent ama.
Read my #tuesdaytip on constipation, sometimes a white-coated tongue can be a related irregular elimination—which then leads to the build-up of ama.